August 8, 2023, Commack, New York -
Tamron announces the development of the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 (Model A065), a fast-aperture telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras. The lens is expected to be available in the Fall 2023.
The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 marks the further evolution of the first-generation model that earned high acclaim in the marketplace and incorporates several enhancements. Leading the list of improvements of the new G2 lens is the incorporation of TAMRON’s proprietary VC (Vibration Compensation) mechanism. The lens maintains the maneuverability of class-leading compact size and weight while enabling shooting with greater stability.
 Among full-frame compatible fast-aperture F2.8 telephoto zoom lenses equipped with Vibration Compensation. (As of July 2023 — TAMRON)
The optical design has been revamped from the first-generation 70-180mm F2.8 and achieves uncompromising high image quality across the entire zoom range. TAMRON also shortened the MOD (Minimum Object Distance) at the wide end to 0.3m (11.8in) compared to the first-generation 0.85m (33.5in), enabling users to enjoy unique photographic expressions distinctive to the lens. Additionally, the new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom features TAMRON’s renowned VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism enabling high-speed, high-precision auto-focusing that performs well whether shooting stills or video. The new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom also supports the dedicated TAMRON Lens Utility™ and TAMRON Lens Utility Mobile™ apps that were developed in-house by TAMRON. The software can be used to customize functions based on various shooting styles for still photography and video. The new lens design improves operability and provides scratch resistance. This single lens combines profound maneuverability and practicality that is worthy of the second-generation G2 badge and will deliver shooting experiences that make a fast-aperture telephoto zoom lens even more enjoyable.
1. Even with VC image stabilization, the lens is just 6.2” (156.5mm) long and weighs only 30.2 o.z (855g)
2. Revamped optical design delivers truly superb performance at all focal lengths
3. VXD provides high-speed and high-precision AF with vastly improved subject tracking
4. Equipped with TAMRON’s proprietary VC mechanism
5. Achieves MOD of 11.8” (0.3m) at 70mm and 33.5” (0.85m) at 180mm
6. Proprietary software tool TAMRON Lens Utility for lens function customization
7. Additional features for greater convenience
8. User-friendly features (Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating)
9. Compatible with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
10. Ø67mm filter size, same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras
Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
To learn more about 70-180mm G2 top improvements ＞
About TAMRON Co., Ltd.
TAMRON provides a wide range of original optical products, from interchangeable lenses for digital cameras to various optical devices for both the general consumer and OEM. We make optical products that contribute to a range of different industries and will continue to devote our rich creativity and leading-edge technical prowess to various industrial fields. Furthermore, TAMRON is fully aware of our responsibility to the environment and aspires to help preserve the natural environment in all our business activities.
Optical Product Line-up:
Interchangeable lenses for Mirrorless and DSLR cameras, Surveillance camera lenses, FA and Machine vision lenses, Video conference lenses, Camera modules, Automotive lenses, Digital still camera lenses, Camcorder lenses, Drone lenses, and Lenses for medical applications.
# # #